Thursday 22 January 2009

I Hate Lotus Notes

Very strong statement but I have to use Lotus Notes for my e-mail in my job and it is one of the worst applications I have ever used.  Every day it frustrates me with its lack of flexibility and weak GUI.  Here a re a few of my top hates for it.  There are many many more.

Forward Meeting Invitations

If I receive a meeting invitation I cannot forward it to other people.  You can delegate but lose the meeting in your own calendar.  This is incredibly frustrating as I often want ot add other people and the only way is to go back to the original meeting creator and ask them to add particluar people to the invite.

Cannot see Full To List
If I receive an e-mail with multiple addresses on it I cant actually drag the pane with names in it to see all the names at once.  I have to scroll up and down.  So it slows me down in my job as I have to go through multiple key storkes to find out a simple piece of information.

Editing Mail Text
Unlike most Windows applications when writing an e-mail there is a completely crummy method for formatting text.  You have to hop around different tabs in a dumb ass pop up to change font sizes, add tables and so on.  For instance if I want to make some  text in an e-mail different colour I have to open up  this window to actually do the task.

Un-Accepted Meetings
In Outlook if you do not accept a meeting it sits unacepted in your calendar view.  Not so in Lotus.  If my mailbox gets busy I often forget to accept a meeting and it drifts off screen.  I have missed meeting because of this - I know I should process the meeting request on receipt but some days my Inbox goes berserk and meetings in two weeks drift off into the sunset.

Alt-Del doesn't Work
this may seem like a minor thing but Alt-Del (delete word forward) does not work.  I sue this hundreds of time a day in typing stuff and most every other application from a simple freeware editor to MS Word you can do this.  I still automaticlally try to do it from time to time but it justs sits there and grins stupidly at me when I try.

Doesn't Synch with My IPhone
There is an app for Lotus Notes Inotes 8.5 which allows you to do this but that is far off in the distance for me as we are still on version 7 here so it could be a while before we upgrade.

Colour coding E-Mails
You can colour code up to 4 e-mail types - after that it is tough luck.  In Outlook I used to colour and font code tons of e-mails to allow me to look at different types of mails easily.  Lotus is hopeless for this.

As I said above these are only some of my gripes.  I use Gmail for my personal mail and it is head and shoulders above this in terms of mail processing.  Even Hotmail which I abandoned about 2 years ago is better. 

No comments: