Friday 27 February 2009

Microsoft Ignorant

Although I am moving to the cloud at the moment for personal documents I still use MS Apps in work but.

Every day and I mean every day I am amazed that people who sit in offices every day do not seem to have basic skills in the applications. Only yesterday I was in my bosses office and said copy that and then Crtl-V it into the other document. He looked at me blankly.

Yes he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. (Ctrl-V is keyboard shortcut for Paste). Now I use keyboard shortcuts much more than any other thing as when your hands are on the keyboard you can get more done and be more productive. I believe for instance that I can produce more content in an 15 minutes than 95% of other people. Here are some keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time for a number of applications that makes me more productive and allows me pound out content and then turn to it and fine tune. I see so many people grasping for the mouse and this slows you down. So here are some tips that can help you on a day to day basis.

MS Word

Alt -I Return Return - Inserts a Page Break.

I use this when I am either writing a header page for a word document or a table of contents or even when I want to delimit a block of Text.

PowerPoint

When you are creating a lot of slides with the killer shortcut key is

Ctrl-M - Inserts a new slide - Keep typing and you are in the header.

Excel

Alt-I - Puts you into Cell Format Love it

Other Keyboard Tips

Thanks to http://www.twitter.com/jonnyboydublin who reminded me of Windows +M which allows you to minimise all windows at once. Handy in certain circumstances when you have a lot of windows open.

No comments: