Wednesday 5 October 2011

iPhone 6 Release Date


Yesterday was the date when the new iPhone was released,  Note I did not used the phrase iPhone 5 which is now depreciated greatly as people file away scratching their heads wondering about the benefits and differences of the new iPhone 4S.  Really it can be summaries in the Apple web page http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/  which clearly and quickly summarises the differences between the different models.  In even shorter summary if you were an iPhone 4 user there isn't a great incentive to move to the new model but if you are a 3GS user or lower then upgrading is attractive in terms of camera and video.

I am a 3GS user and I had hoped for most of the features mentioned and if it had been badged as 5 I would have upgraded anyway so I am now  looking and waiting for upgrade for the offers that will soon come available in my local network.  However the blogosphere is awash with commentary on the whole affair and how the launch reflects a beginning of the differences now that Jobs has stepped aside and Cook is now head of the show.

the only real measure other than listening to the hundreds of thousands of blogs on the topic is to look at the share price which as I post this blog is down $2 which isn't a great drop but is still a change.   It is still a strong buy recommendation from the analysts but it will be interesting to look at it over the coming days and see the demand for the new product as the iPhone and iPad are now the flagship products tor the company.

The fact that they did not live stream the event also shows a cautiousness not shown in the past and indicates that there will be a new product next year with the desired "5" badge.  

Android Products

I confess to not having a huge knowledge of the Android market but it now seems that the Android market now has a chance to make significant gains on Apple as they now have many products as good if not better than the iPhone and a window to exploit these features and even release a product that at price and technology will challenge the non-existent iPhone 5.  I think the earliest will we will now see an iPhone 5 is early next 2012 so expect to see a lot of Android noise in the meantime as their technical and marketing teams move into a high gear in advance of Christmas.

Apple Advertising

The Apple adverts have always been quirky eclectic and fun but with the new iPhone 4S they will face a challenged to show how it is different.- you can only bang the improved video and photo drum so hard and they may have to think up an advertising strategy that looks at the 3G/3GS market in their adverts.  The one complaint that I hear and see about the iPhone 4 has been its shape and the look is important to users of Apple products.  Lets face it people like to show that their phone is different.

Price Will Win

For me as a buyer the price is what will influence me in my change.  I am entitled to a free upgrade but if I do upgrade I will be willing to pay a small premium for more memory as if the camera is better I will take more photos and video.  If it is competitive then I will think of making the leap.

iPhone 6

No sooner of course does the furore about the 5 finish than we will see cries for the iPhone 6.  Anyone have an idea?

No comments: